Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rainy Days on Monday's Always Get Me Down

I arrived to work on Monday only to find that my key wouldn't work to open my classroom door. (As it turns out, some punk kid...not any of my students of course...stuffed paper into the lock!) What is a teacher to do when her students are going to be there in 20 minutes and the locksmith can't come for at least 45 minutes?

IMPROVISE!!!

With no access to my classroom supplies, I really had to rack my brain. The first choice to go outside for early EARLY morning recess was automatically shot down due to the rain. (Dang rain! I know we need it blah blah blah, but really, can't it hold off and not rain between the hours of 8am-3:30pm?!? It'd my job so much easier.)

My next thought was to go into the gym to work on our motor skills. However, my principal wasn't too keen on us staying too long in that location to due the breakfast schedule.

So, what in pray tell you may ask did I do with my little darlings for 35 minutes? I had a nice little mini lesson about the importance of "community helpers" specifically the mailman and then we pretended to be mail carriers and delivered my wedding announcements to all the teachers in the school. They loved it! Ok, I know it's a stretch, not the most academic thing, but hey, desperate times call for desperate measures!

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I love it! Wow it makes me miss teaching.

Shannon said...

I laughed right out loud. What a great way to get your announcements out! Good job, teacher Bre! :)