Monday, December 17, 2007

a prayer to remember

I attended my great grandmother's funeral on thursday. She was 85 years old when she passed away and had five generations alive. Which only proves that in the Funk Family, we like to start our families young (I'm definitely the outliar in my family. I pretty much have screwed up my family tradition by staying single for so long).
My great grandmother spent the majority of her life in the little town of Ferron, UT. (Population 500ish) Lets just say it's an interesting little town. One of my relatives, who, to I've never met before in my life, gave the closing prayer. This prayer has now been nominated and won the award for most interesting prayer I've ever heard at a funeral. (As judged by my brother and I). My guess is that this particular relative may have wished to give a talk instead of the closing prayer, based on the fact that her prayer when a little something like this.

"God, I've been thinking about this for the past few days and I could just picture grandpa waiting to greet grandma up there by hiding behind a rock and when she entered, he'd yell out "BANG!" and grandma would say to him, 'oh, jack, that's not very nice." ..."

Yes, she really did yell out BANG in her prayer. Freaked me out for a split second, I'm not going to lie.

And this is the kind of people I'm related to. I love Ferron.

No comments: