Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tu Tu's was too too much!

Last night, Bethany and I went to dinner with a couple of her friend to a restaurant called Cafe Tu Tu Tango. This restaurant is very bohemian. Lots of art work everywhere. They ONLY serve appetizers. yep, that's right...appetizers. The idea is, each person orders a couple appetizers each and then you all share your food with your friends. Interesting concept.

So we get the menu, and the food sounds divine. Yet, as I look around at other tables, I notice how ridiculously small the portion sizes are. Then I look at the menu and notice how ridiculously over priced it seemed ($8-9 a plate). Not wanting to spend a lot, I ordered the cheapest thing on the menu ($7). The food comes at random, and we all start to eat. I take a bite of everyone's appetizer (that is, after all, the idea). Then my plate comes. 4 tiny triangles of a quesadilla, which of course I shared with everyone. I really didn't eat much...I didn't want to hog and eat everyone's else's food, and with every small bite, I would think "Well, that just cost $1.25"

THEN the bill comes. The guy we were with just divided it evenly four ways. In retrospect, it makes sense, b/c we all ate each other's food, but I was a little surprised at the time, b/c I really only sampled the other food. I definitely didn't eat a 1/4 of the food. To add to the fun of it all, my stomach was a little queasy afterwards from not having a balanced meal (a bit of Italian, chinese, mexican, and other spices apparently don't mix well with me.)

I left $20 poorer and starving. Some restaurant. I went home and ate a bowl of cereal. I could have had the same experience for free....at Costco trying all the random samplers. Maybe I'll recommend that next time.

*Beth loved this place and laughed hysterically at my reaction. To each, his own, I guess.

*Beth just read this post and said I sound really bitter...I'm not really. It was pretty funny at the time.

1 comment:

Preston & Rebekah Peterson said...

You live a life of bitterness...ha ha . I would be upset too! That's why I hate sharing food! There is always someone at the table who eats it all!